Update: greed got the better of them again and everyone ended up with nothing in this case.
RTE News Friday 27 June 2014
A mediation process aimed at resolving a dispute over next month’s Garth Brooks concerts has recommended that Croke Park, in future, should not host four or five concerts on consecutive nights.
Labour Relations Commission Chief Executive Kieran Mulvey’s report also recommends a Garth Brooks legacy fund of €500,000 for the local community.
GAA Director General Páraic Duffy has said the GAA would pay the money recommended under the fund.
Mr Mulvey’s report follows meetings with residents, the GAA and concert promoters.
Croke Park is hosting a total of eight concerts this year, including five consecutive nights this July by Garth Brooks.
Mr Mulvey’s report finds the intensification of shows has had a negative impact on the quality of life of residents and that a lack of trust remains a persistent issue between the parties.
While residents want no concerts for the next two years, Croke Park has offered to adhere to three concerts per year. Mr Mulvey said the result is a stalemate.
Between 2017 and 2019 the report is proposing nine concerts, with an exception for a special event during centenary celebrations in 2016.
Earlier this year residents threatened legal action, but Mr Mulvey said it is not in his remit to comment on litigation.
Mr Duffy said he accepts that the organisation has not behaved towards residents living near Croke Park in the past as it should have done in certain respects.
However, he said the GAA had also done a number of positive things for the area.
Speaking on RTÉ’s Morning Ireland, he accepted that five concerts on consecutive days was too many.
He said there was a commitment to host no more than three concerts in a row in the future.
Mr Duffy also said an umbrella representative group for all the residents around Croke Park was badly needed, as well as a written agreement.
Croke Park residents are to informally discuss the recommendations tonight and in full next Tuesday evening.
Croke Park residents reject Garth Brooks gig plans
Head of the Labour Relations Commission Kieran Mulvey published a report calling for a limit of three consecutive concerts in Croke Park from 2017
Angry Croke Park residents today slammed proposals to resolve the dispute over Garth Brooks’ five gigs – even though they have been accepted by the GAA.
The head of the Labour Relations Commission Kieran Mulvey published a report yesterday (Fri) calling for a limit of three consecutive concerts in Croke Park from 2017.
He said the decision to promote five concerts was “misjudged”, and recommended that the GAA create a once-off E500,000 “legacy fund” for the local community.
However, local residents say the proposals are still not good enough.
Solicitor for the Croke Park Community, Anthony Fay, said that there is a “strong likelihood that there will be either an injunction or private prosecution” brought against the concert promoters Aiken and stadium owners the the GAA.
He said: “We still haven’t received a response form Dublin City Council on whether they will prosecute regarding planning, the GAA shouldn’t have been selling tickets without a licence in the first place.”
Top GAA bosses have now admitted that they were wrong to schedule five concerts in a row and have agreed to dish out the E500,000, saying that they “hope it will improve relations with the local community”.
Speaking on Newstalk’s Breakfast show yesterday, Director General of the GAA Padraic Duffy said: “I accept that eight concerts in one year is too many, we accept the point that Kieran has made that we shouldn’t go down that road again.
“I can say unequivocally that we will absolutely accept all 11 recommendations that Kieran Mulvey has made.
“We will confine ourselves to three concerts per year in the future on the basis of developing a more positive relationship with the residents.”
Recommendations also included 100 pairs of free tickets per concert night raffled to local residents and a 20 per cent increase in the stadium’s annual Community Fund which supports local projects, bringing the revised figure to E120,000 per year.
But the proposals have been rejected by residents, with Chairman of the Croke Park Streets Committee Eamon O’Brien calling it an “appalling report”.
He said: “The GAA is totally toxic to the community. The concession of only having three concerts in a row is almost sticking it in the face of the community.
“It’s just about the sequence of concerts, not about the number. They could have 33 concerts under the concession, it is totally unacceptable.”
A spokesman for the GAA said: “We think it is a reasonable and fair document. We are due to meet with residents on Tuesday, we will see what happens then.”
About 400,000 tickets worth roughly E26 million were sold in February for Brooks’ comeback concerts, which are due to run from July 25-29.
Dublin City Council say that they are unable to comment on the concerts until a decision on whether to grant the licence has been made. A final decision is expected within the next few weeks.